HI Banner
Home Inspector Applicant FAQ

Home Inspector Applicant FAQ

If you have established Arizona residency and believe you meet the other requirements of A.R.S. §32-4302, you may apply using the Universal Licensure Application.

Yes, but the Arizona Board of Technical Registration cannot accept applications by email as all applications must be accompanied by payment in the form of a check or money order. However, all supporting documentation, can be submitted to [email protected] or directly to your licensing specialist electronically.

Once an applicant has submitted all required documentation, the process takes approximately 8-12 weeks. However, that timeframe may be influenced by the quality of the documents submitted in support of the application.

No, the BTR does not have expedited services.

If your clearance card application was denied because of a past criminal conviction, you can apply to the Arizona Board of Fingerprinting for a good cause exemption. You can learn more about the good cause exemption application at https://fingerprint.az.gov. The Board cannot issue or renew a certification for alarm agents or controlling persons without a valid clearance card. Please take steps now to determine if your clearance card application may be denied and apply for the good cause exemption well in advance of your renewal or application date. 

The Notice to Applicant form is an informational document for Home Inspectors regarding the background/disciplinary action questions on the application. The form is required to complete the application.

Yes. The Arizona Board of Technical Registration requires an explanatory statement and verifiable documentation regarding all criminal and disciplinary actions. The official documentation must include details from inception to dissolution of any and all incidents despite the length of time since the occurrence.

If you answer "yes" to any of the questions regarding arrest or conviction, you must provide the Board with a detailed written explanation regarding the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident and provide official court documentation supplying your explanation which includes the disposition of the arrest, even if the charge was ultimately dismissed, set aside or expunged. (i.e., police reports, court orders.). You should be able to contact the court in the jurisdiction the action took place in. False or misleading answers regarding any information provided to the Board of Technical Registration as part of your request for registration or certification may result in denial of your application. The Board will verify your answers to the background questions by searching public records databases. If it determines that you answered any of the questions in the Background/Discipline Section of the application untruthfully, it may be grounds to deny your application.

Home Inspector certification is valid for one year from the date of issuance. The Board will send out courtesy reminders to renew, however it is the responsibility of the individual to complete the renewal timely.

Pursuant to A.R.S. §32-141 Firm Registration – “A firm shall not engage in the practice of any board-regulated profession or occupation unless the firm is registered with the board and the professional services are conducted under the full authority and responsible charge of a principal of the firm, who is also a registrant.”

Yes. Per ARS § 32-141, firms providing professional services must be registered with the Board. This includes registrants offering services as a solo practitioner / DBA (Doing Business As). Per ARS 32 § 101(B)(13), "Firm" means any individual or partnership, corporation or other type of association, including the association of a nonregistrant and a registrant who offers to the public professional services regulated by the board.

You may refer to A.R.S. §32-101.02. Additionally, should you choose to go on Inactive status, please refer to A.A.C. R4-30-247(F) regarding the requirement to maintain financial assurance for two years after the date the certification goes Inactive. Proof of current financial assurance or any questions can be sent to [email protected]