As of May 1, 2023, NCARB’s new score validity policy goes into effect, replacing the previous rolling clock policy. The Arizona State Board of Technical Registration does not have regulatory impediments that prevent the support of these changes, however, Arizona's administrative code R4-30-204(C)(3) and (6) require that the Board gives timeframes on exam authorization.
To elaborate, if an individual has to apply to the Board for ARE exam authorization (if they do not have a NAAB-accredited degree), once approved they have 1 year to take and pass at least one division of the exam, which then extends their authorization for an additional 5 years. If the individual is unable to pass all the divisions within that remaining time, they would have to re-apply to the Board for more time. Any passed divisions will still be accepted, it is just a matter of applying to the Board again for more testing time.
If you have any questions regarding this, please reach out to Licensing Manager Julie Pham at 602-364-4955 for assistance.
Architect Exam (ARE) Authorization Application
To complete the Application, please:
- Complete all questions, sign and date.
- Include a signed check or money order in the amount of $100.00 for the application fee.
- Completed, signed and dated “ Arizona Statement of Citizenship” form and
- Include a copy of a government issued photographic identification
- Request Official college transcripts be sent to the Board, if applicable
- Request up to Three (3) Certificate of Experience forms
Architect Exam Authorization Packet Fee
|Architect Exam Authorization Packet||$100.00|
All applicants must obtain pre-authorization approval to sit for an examination from either:
- The Arizona Board of Technical Registration: You should submit an application to sit for the examination to the Board if you do not have a NAAB accredited degree or do not have any formal education at all. The Board’s approval process may take eight to twelve weeks depending on the applicant’s qualifications and timely submission of required documents. If the Board has not received an application from you and approved you to sit for a national examination, you will not be authorized to take an NCARB examination.
- NCARB by Auto-approval: This option is only available to applicants with a NAAB accredited bachelor’s degree or a NAAB accredited master’s degree. Not all architect degrees are NAAB accredited. Refer to http://naab.org/home to determine if your degree is NAAB accredited. If it is, you may register directly with NCARB to take the national exams. Be sure to identify your NAAB education when completing registration for examination registration.