3.1 General limitations:
A. Inspections done in accordance with these Standards are visual, not technically exhaustive and will not identify concealed conditions or latent defects.
B. These Standards are applicable to buildings with four or less dwelling units and their garages or carports.
3.2 General exclusions:
A. Inspectors are NOT required to report on:
1. life expectancy of any component or system.
2. the causes of the need for a major repair.
3. the methods, materials and costs of corrections.
4. the suitability of the property for any specialized use.
5. compliance or non-compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
6. the market value of the property or its marketability.
7. the advisability or inadvisability of purchase of the property.
8. any component or system which was not observed.
9. the presence or absence of pests such as wood damaging organisms, rodents, or insects.
10. cosmetic items, underground items, or items not permanently installed.
B. Inspectors are NOT required to:
1. offer warranties or guarantees of any kind.
2. calculate the strength, adequacy, or efficiency of any system or component.
3. enter any area or perform any procedure which may damage the property or its components or be dangerous to the inspector or other persons.
4. operate any system or component which is shut down or otherwise inoperable.
5. operate any system or component which does not respond to normal operating controls.
6. disturb insulation, move personal items, furniture, equipment, plant life, soil, snow, ice, or debris which obstructs access or visibility.
7. determine the presence or absence of any suspected hazardous substance including but not limited to toxins, fungus, molds, mold spores, carcinogens, noise, contaminants in soil, water, and air.
8. determine the effectiveness of any system installed to control or remove suspected hazardous substances.
9. predict future conditions, including but not limited to failure of components.
10. project operating costs of components.
11. evaluate acoustical characteristics of any systemor component.
3.3 Limitations and exclusions specific to individual systems are listed in following sections.